Sometimes emergencies can happen even with the best-laid plans. If you experience a medical emergency while traveling internationally, the officials at the nearest Government of Canada Office (e.g., embassy) can help.

They will have a list of physicians, clinics, and hospitals. In addition, officials can contact your next of kin or the person designated as power of attorney if you are not able to make decisions yourself.

Your insurance company may provide support, and with your permission, they can contact your medical doctor at home and assist the local physician with your medical files.

Keep in mind the Canadian government cannot pay for your medical bills, medical evacuation, or air ambulance; which is why it is important to think about travel insurance.

In This Section

Back to IBD Journey