Crohn’s and Colitis Canada awards twenty one-time scholarships of $5,000 to students of any age, living with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis who are enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary educational institute for the upcoming fall 2021.
Past scholarship recipients represent students who are living well with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis who not only strive to sustain an optimal level of wellness, but also seek to inspire others to do the same.
This program is made possible by an educational grant provided by AbbVie Canada.
Applicants of any age are encouraged to apply and must be:
- A citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Diagnosed with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis by a health care professional
- Seeking a diploma, associate, undergraduate, or graduate degree from a Canadian university, college or trade school
- Enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from a Canadian-based post-secondary educational institution for the 2021 fall semester
- A student who demonstrates academic aspiration and strives to sustain an optimal level of wellness, allowing them to excel to reach their goals and inspire others to do the same.
The AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program is a competitive process. Application for the program does not guarantee funding for the upcoming educational year. Employees of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada or AbbVie and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship.
All applicants must submit scanned originals of the following information via online by June 1, 2021 at 11:59pm EDT
- A completed 2021 AbbVie IBD Scholarship online application
- A completed and signed Proof of Diagnosis Form from your treating health care professional
- A signed and dated Applicant Consent Form
- Two (2) letters of personal recommendation from a teacher, guidance counsellor, school official, coach, mentor, health care provider, professional colleague or employer
- A one (1) page (500 word max.) essay outlining how you demonstrate your academic aspiration and strive to sustain an optimal level of wellness, allowing you to excel to reach your personal and academic goals and inspiring others to do the same.
Questions to address in your essay:
- Why do you strive for academic success?
- How do you strive to sustain an optimal level of wellness?
- What are our personal and academic goals?
- How you inspire others through community and school involvement?
- How you would benefit from the scholarship financially and psychologically?
PLEASE NOTE: Once you begin the online application process, you will not be able to save your information.
Ready to begin? Please fill out the online application form
Recipients are selected:
- At the sole discretion of an independent selection committee of leading gastroenterologists, community partners and patient representatives from across Canada.
- Based on two (2) letters of personal recommendation and a one (1) page essay outlining how a student has strived to sustain a high level of wellness in spite of their disease and inspire others to do the same. Click here to see a sample of a scoring sheet and criteria definitions that lists the criteria your essay and personal recommendations will be rated on.
- In the month of July 2021, recipients will be notified by telephone and a confirmation letter. Once enrolment is verified for the fall 2021 semester, the scholarship cheque will be made directly payable/mailed to the student’s post-secondary institution. Individual scholarship will cover $5,000 CAN for the recipient’s tuition and/or required educational materials. Eligible educational expenses for the AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program include tuition, student fees, required educational materials and on-site residency.
Special thanks to our supporting organizations: