Crohn’s and Colitis Canada’s AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program supports students in achieving their academic goals while they make a lasting and meaningful difference in their communities. Every year we award $5,000 scholarships to ten inspiring students attending a Canadian post-secondary institution for the upcoming fall semester. The program, made possible by an educational grant from AbbVie Canada, helps alleviate financial barriers, enabling students to spend more time on their studies, pursue their passions, and get involved with causes close to their hearts. You can learn more about eligibility and the application requirements below.
This year, we are raising the number of awards! Fifteen (15) eligible students will have a chance to receive the $5,000 AbbVie IBD Scholarship grant.
In 2021 we celebrated the 10th anniversary of the program and took a trip down memory lane! Watch our video yearbook – 10 Years of Student Success – to meet past recipients and learn their tips for applying to the program and thriving at school.
Applicants of any age are encouraged to apply and must be:
- A citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Diagnosed with Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis by a health care professional
- Seeking a diploma, associate, undergraduate, or graduate degree from a Canadian university, college or trade school
- Enrolled in or awaiting acceptance from a Canadian-based post-secondary educational institution for the 2022 fall semester
- A student who demonstrates academic aspiration and strives to sustain an optimal level of wellness, allowing them to excel to reach their goals and inspire others to do the same.
The AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program is a competitive process. Application for the program does not guarantee funding for the upcoming educational year. Employees of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada or AbbVie and their immediate family members are not eligible for this scholarship.
All applicants must submit scanned originals of the following information via online by June 1, 2022 at 11:59pm EDT
- A completed 2022 AbbVie IBD Scholarship online application
- A completed and signed Proof of Diagnosis Form from your treating health care professional
- A signed and dated Applicant Consent Form
- Two (2) letters of personal recommendation from a teacher, guidance counsellor, school official, coach, mentor, health care provider, professional colleague or employer
- A one (1) page (500 word max.) essay outlining how you demonstrate your academic aspiration and strive to sustain an optimal level of wellness, allowing you to excel to reach your personal and academic goals and inspiring others to do the same.
Questions to address in your essay:
- Why do you strive for academic success?
- How do you strive to sustain an optimal level of wellness?
- What are our personal and academic goals?
- How you inspire others through community and school involvement?
- How you would benefit from the scholarship financially and psychologically?
PLEASE NOTE: Once you begin the online application process, you will not be able to save your information.
Ready to begin? Please fill out the online application form
Recipients are selected:
- At the sole discretion of an independent selection committee of leading gastroenterologists, community partners and patient representatives from across Canada.
- Based on two (2) letters of personal recommendation and a one (1) page essay outlining how a student has strived to sustain a high level of wellness in spite of their disease and inspire others to do the same. Click here to see a sample of a scoring sheet and criteria definitions that lists the criteria your essay and personal recommendations will be rated on.
- In the month of July 2022, recipients will be notified by telephone and a confirmation letter. Once enrolment is verified for the fall 2022 semester, the scholarship cheque will be made directly payable/mailed to the student’s post-secondary institution. Individual scholarship will cover $5,000 CAN for the recipient’s tuition and/or required educational materials. Eligible educational expenses for the AbbVie IBD Scholarship Program include tuition, student fees, required educational materials and on-site residency.
Special thanks to our supporting organizations: