Canadian IBD Nursing
CANIBD was established in 2015 to help meet the need for an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) nursing network where best practices in IBD care could be shared. CANIBD is a community of practice of the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates (CSGNA), and is supported by Crohn’s and Colitis Canada. CANIBD is governed by a Steering Committee and has ad hoc working groups.
CANIBD is a community of practice for nurses that are working in the field of IBD. There are approximately 80 IBD nurses across Canada, with many more providing care to IBD patients as part of their practice. These dedicated nurses provide clinical inpatient and outpatient care, telephone advice, transitional care, and biologic therapy support.
To ensure people of all ages living with IBD in Canada receive high-quality clinical nursing care within a multidisciplinary team
CANIBD is committed to improving the quality of care for people living with IBD by:
- Providing mentorship and learning opportunities to IBD nurses in Canada
- Creating opportunities for networking and sharing of best practices
- Developing and adopting nursing guidelines and standards for IBD nursing in Canada
- Elevating the profile of IBD nursing in Canada
CANIBD has made great strides in advancing the IBD nursing profession. Since its establishment it has:
CANIBD is grateful for the support of industry partners including Merck, AbbVie, Janssen, Shire, and Takeda. CANIBD supporters make this work possible.
- Hosted four annual conferences, bringing together IBD nurses from across the country to share best practices and learn more about advances in IBD care
- Funded two clinical research pilot projects aimed at improving IBD patient care and quality of life
- Supported five travel scholarships enabling nurses to attend IBD education events
- Created IBD nursing standards
- Developed IBD nursing educational modules and hosted educational webinars
- Paired junior IBD nurses with senior practitioners through a fellowship program
Join the conversation about IBD nursing by following CANIBD on Twitter @CANIBD.
Fellowships and grants
The Canadian IBD Nurses (CANIBD) offers a number of grant opportunities for nurses specializing in IBD. Learn more about the CANIBD fellowship for early career IBD nurses, and research and travel awards to help strengthen your capacity to engage in research.
Learning for Nurses
CANIBD provides learning and networking opportunities for IBD nurses. Learn more about the annual CANIBD conference and educational events occuring throughout the year.
get involved with canibd
Are you a nurse working with IBD patients? Learn more about joining CANIBD.
CANIBD Member Content
Already a CANIBD member? Find educational content and other exclusive resources here.
CANIBD is grateful for the support of industry partners including AbbVie, Janssen, Merck, Pfizer, and Takeda. CANIBD supporters make this work possible.