A vegetarian pasta sauce that can win over meat lovers!
1 (340 g) box dry white jumbo pasta shells 1
1 (350 g) package firm tofu 2
3 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ cups zucchini, peeled, seeds scooped out, grated
1 cup carrot, grated
1 large (680 ml) can tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste, as needed
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 ½ cups of shredded mozzarella
Salt and pepper
Go back to the IBD Kitchen overview
Download this recipe as a PDF
- Cook pasta according to instructions on package. After draining, drizzle with some oil to prevent sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Crumble the tofu by using a food processor (briefly pulse a few times) or by using a fork or your hands. The size of the crumbles should resemble ground meat.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Add grated zucchini and carrot. Stir fry for 2–3 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients, except for the cheese. Gently fold in tofu crumbles, cover, and continue to cook sauce for about 15 minutes, allowing all the flavours to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with non-stick spray or oil. Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom.
- Stuff the shells, spread remaining sauce on top and garnish with shredded cheese. 3
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Serve immediately or cool completely before freezing and reheating later.
- you can use any other larger size pasta, such as rotini, and make this recipe into a simple pasta bake. For our picture, we chose stuffed shells. Stuffing shells takes a bit more time. Use gluten-free pasta, if gluten intolerant.
- this recipe also works with ground meat
- if using another type of pasta: simply mix the sauce and the pasta and top with cheese
- freeze the stuffed shells in portion. Use smaller dishes like we did for our photo.
NUTRITION FACTS (PER SERVING: 1/8 OF RECIPE)
Kcal: 332 / Protein (g): 10 / Fat (g): 13 / CHO (g): 42 / Fibre (g): 6 / Ca (mg): 190 / Fe (mg): 3 / Na (mg): 308