A comforting and nutrient-rich soup with a fresh lemon taste.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup rutabaga, diced 1
1 cup carrot, diced
⅓ cup white parts of green onion, sliced 2
8 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded 3
1 cup rice, dry 4
⅓ cup, plus 1 tbsp lemon juice
Bunch fresh dill with stems
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
2 bay leaves
Go back to the IBD Kitchen overview
Download this recipe as a PDF
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add rutabaga and carrots, fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent browning. Add onions and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add the stock, garlic powder, bay leaves, and shredded chicken. Increase the temperature to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add bunch of dill on top and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. As the rice absorbs the liquid, you may want to add some more stock or water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk both eggs until light and frothy, about 5 minutes. 5 Whisk in lemon juice for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the dill from the soup. Add 2 ladles of soup to lemon mixture to temper the eggs and prevent them from scrambling. Pour the lemon mixture into the soup and remove the pot from heat.
- Garnish with fresh or dried herbs, season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- or 1 potato, peeled
- if you cannot tolerate onions, try using onion powder instead
- or tofu. To save time, buy grilled chicken from a store
- to save cooking time in step 2, use parboiled rice
- to save time, use blender or handheld mixer and mix until light and frothy
NUTRITION FACTS (PER SERVING: 1/6 OF RECIPE)
Kcal: 209 / Protein (g): 18 / Fat (g): 8 / CHO (g): 17 / Fibre (g): 2 / Ca (mg): 57 / Fe (mg): 1 / Na (mg): 264