Montréal Centre: McGill University Health Centre (MUHC)
Area of Focus: Quality indicators of care
- McGill and MUHC researchers are conducting a systematic review of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis qualities of care. Quality indicators track key metrics in healthcare delivery and patient outcomes that measures the success of each program. This information provides evidence that influences changes to patient care.
- The goal is to measure improvements in patient outcomes delivered through the PACE network.
- Several different treatment options are embraced as a standard with varying degrees of evidence and accuracy. The data collected will provide unbiased evidence to elevate best practices and innovate standardized care across the country.
- This project has secured funding for the next four years, with the goal of continuing well beyond 2020. The MUHC centre will participate in quarterly reports with all centres under the leadership of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada.
- The MUHC centre will focus on quality indicators of care for the next two years and will then begin adopting the specialties of the other centres in years three and four.
Leadership: Alain Bitton, MD, FRCPC
- Since 2009, Dr. Bitton has been the Director of the Division of Gastroenterology at McGill University and the MUHC. He is also a member from the Infectious Diseases and Immunity in Global Health Program of the Research Institute of the MUHC. Dr. Bitton’s research in the field of IBD focuses on the identification of clinical, biologic, psychosocial and genetic predictors of relapse and disease course in IBD. He is the clinical director and co-founder of the Québec IBD Genetics Consortium, part of the Université de Montréal Genetic Research Centre.
- Dr. Bitton leads the way for the creation of the MUHC IBD Centre, which will serve as an innovative multidisciplinary platform for the care of IBD patients. Dr. Bitton has substantial experience as co-investigator in therapeutic clinical trials assessing novel biologics in IBD.
PACE Centre: MUHC Inflammatory Bowel Disease Centre
- The IBD Research Group provides dedicated nurses, public education seminars as well as research and training for those living with IBD.
- Dr. Ernest Seidman is the chair of IDB Program at McGill University while Dr. Alain Bitton serves as the chief of the Division of Gastroenterology at the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) and McGill University. Their team also includes Dr. Waqqas Affif, Dr. Talat Bessissow and Dr. Gary Wild. Other members are Dr. Jeff Chao (IBD Fellow), two clinical and two research nurses, a dietician and administrative support staff.
- The MUHC Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Centre works closely with the colorectal surgeons on staff at the MUHC. At the present time, the clinic sees up to 150 patients a week.
- MUHC IBD Centre is located at the Montreal General Hospital.
Read the News Release – English / French
Questions? Contact: Katy Devitt